[syslinux] comments about 5.00pre10

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 06:06:09 PST 2012

Hi Matt,

First comments about 5.00-pre10.

1_ When using "ctrl+v" in the boot prompt, there is no space
character between the version and the boot mode. Additionally, the
main version number is shown twice.
For example, "SYSLINUX 5.00 5.00-PRE10CHS" should be:
 "SYSLINUX 5.00-PRE10 CHS"

2_ Boot to menu.c32, press [ESC] to go to the boot prompt. Pressing
[ESC] once again returns back to the menu, as if [ENTER] would had
been pressed. IIRC, in 4.06 the second [ESC] would not go back to the
menu (meaning, it wouldn't execute the default label). In other
words, [ESC] is acting as [ENTER].

3_ At the boot prompt, pressing [ENTER] (or [ESC], given the current
mix up between both keys) should give the default kernel. For kernel
images that return back to the boot prompt, repeating this behavior
will eventually hang the prompt. The easiest way to reproduce this
is:
1. In syslinux.cfg, don't use UI nor DEFAULT (or comment out the
lines).
2. Boot. "No UI or DEFAULT configuration directives found!" will be
shown and then the prompt.
3. Press [ENTER] (or [ESC]...) several times, until it hangs.

A similar bad behavior can be seen if the default label is any c32
module that returns to the boot prompt. For example.

   *** start syslinux.cfg ***

 DEFAULT pwd1

 LABEL pwd1
 COM32 pwd.c32

   *** end syslinux.cfg ***

After booting, keep pressing [ENTER] once and again, until it fails.
Moreover, one [ENTER] will execute the default label (pwd in the
example), and the next one will just present the boot prompt (no
default kernel execution). This behavior alternates until it hangs.
(Hmm, could this be related to the leak that Shao is patching?)

4_ About "win: Print error message if we fail to install to
--directory". When running the (Windows-based) installer with
"--directory" and the directory path doesn't exist in the destination
device, the installer tries to use the "/" directory instead. Is this
the correct expected behavior? I previously suggested that the
installer should error out with "no such directory [exists]" or
similar.

5_ DISPLAY, F1-F12 doesn't work. I think SYSLINUX is not working
correctly if no "UI [vesa]menu.c32" is used.

6_If message.txt is a DISPLAY file, then "cat.c32 message.txt"
doesn't work. It may be happening with other files too, but at least
"cat.c32 syslinux.cfg" works. I may be missing something here, but I
don't know what.

7_ When using menu.c32, the boot prompt behaves as if MENU CLEAR is
always used. I previously reported this when testing menu.c32 to
pwd.c32, but the same happens with any other image or even with
[ESC].

Status of the following?

_ When running an installer with "--version", the result doesn't
include the "complete" version ("5.00-pre10")

_ Even though I changed to a different CWD, it still runs the
commands without the need to type the path. Strange. It may be useful
in some cases, and problematic in others.

_ The first argument for config.c32 works correctly, but the second
(the soon-to-be new CWD) doesn't. The CONFIG directive from a menu
seems to work (at least at first impression).

Testing in a VBox VM:

_ hdt.c32:
Undef symbol FAIL: cpu_flags_strings

_ hello.c32:
Hello, world, from 0x00229200! malloc return 0x0022ac60

TIA,
Ady.