[syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not working

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:46:55 PDT 2012

Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Menu system bug - MENU DEFAULT not
working
Date sent:      	Thu, 11 Oct 2012 21:49:09 +0100

> On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 20:04 +0200, Ady wrote:
> > I kept thinking about SUBmenus, even after Matt's comment that his
> > patch would affect not just MENU GOTO but all MENU DEFAULT behavior
> > regarding SUBmenus.
> >
> > But then I started to think about the PARENT menu behavior. When
> > going back from a submenu to its parent menu using [ESC], the current
> > behavior (as of 4.06pre12) is already expected by users. To be
> > consistent, the behavior going up to the parent menu shouldn't be
> > changed.
>
> Exactly. You've hit the nail on the head. People will rely on this
> behaviour. We can't regress.
>
> > I don't have the knowledge to test the patch alone, so I'll have to
> > wait for another prerelease so to confirm if this is the case or not.
>
> -pre13 will be out in the next hour or so.
>
> --
> Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center

Hello Matt,

I tested 4.06pre13 MENU DEFAULT behavior in relation to MENU GOTO and
multiple levels of submenus navigation. I used menu.c32 (not
vesamenu.c32), ldlinux.sys (both with no modification at all) and
with different cfg files, including the one from Tomas.

Regarding submenus, I used MENU BEGIN + MENU END pairs, with and
without tagnames. I have NOT tested "[MENU] INCLUDE tagname" YET. I
haven't tested "MENU EXIT tagname" either.

Observations:
1_ The navigation through multiple levels of parent-child (sub)menus
is consistent with previous versions.
2_ Using Tomas' cfg file (and some variations too), MENU GOTO seems
to "almost" work correctly and as expected.
3_ I don't know if this is important or not but... I am able to
"break" the MENU GOTO + MENU DEFAULT, but the specific pattern is not
so clear yet. Here is how I "broke" it.

I boot ldlinux.sys from 4.06pre13. I use the submenus from Tomas, but
I use menu.c32, not vesamenu.c32 (I deleted all that is not relevant
to the test with menu.c32, and I haven't even tested actually booting
any OS kernel from the menu).

Now, while I am over some entry in the middle (one before the last
one, or two before the last one), I press the space bar and the
selection goes down the list of entries. Then I may press [ENTER], or
the arrow keys, or the space bar again ("playing" with the menu and
watching the results). At some point, while pressing [ENTER] again
and again and again, the selection "jumps" from one entry line to
another (which shouldn't happen in this particular cfg file). The
jump is not seen after _every_ [ENTER], but it repeats itself in some
way or another (keep "playing" and it shows up again).

I can replicate this strange behavior, but I am still not clear about
the exact pattern and steps.

This is probably an edge case, but maybe someone else noticed it too.

BTW, I don't know which exactly is the expected result from pressing
the space bar in menu.c32 from 4.06pre13, so maybe this is just a
"stup1d-proof" test.

Regards,
Ady.