[syslinux] Syslinux-5.00-pre9

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Wed Oct 31 13:12:17 PDT 2012

Op 31-10-2012 20:11, Ady schreef:

>    ... "Split non-core functionality into ldlinux.c32"...
> I wonder; will the INITIAL CWD definition still be the location of
> ldlinux.sys (as example for SYSLINUX)? Is there a possible case where
> ldlinux.sys will be located in one directory, and ldlinux.c32 in
> another? Or they must always be located in the same directory?

is ldlinux.c32 searched for by ldlinux.sys/isolinux.bin in the same way
as the config file is searched for by ldlinux.c32 ?
Meaning "/", "/boot" , cwd, etc.

> 7_ From 5.00 NEWS:
>    ... "reducing both disk space and runtime memory consumption."
> Interestingly, the installers are several times bigger than in 4.xx.

The UPX executable compressor program should help a bit, besides
syslinux.com/exe I'm not sure which files/modules can be compressed. In
theory if modules are ELF-format, UPX should be able to handle them.
Syslinux64.exe isn't compressible as UPX doesn't support compressing
64bit (windows) binaries yet.

Bernd