[syslinux] Syslinux "new" vs "old": strange difference on USB flash set-up

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 21:17:09 PDT 2013

Hi Gene:

I downloaded
 syslinux-5.01.zip (8876698 bytes).
(assuming that's the "binary" we've been talking about).
After unzipping, the 'linux/syslinux' executable is 191644 bytes
(a "little" different from my compiled one:  240002 bytes)

For reference:
[]$ linux/syslinux --version
 linux/syslinux 5.01  Copyright 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al

The command
 linux/syslinux -s /dev/sdb                                               #
or -i
fails with
 "possibly unsafe /tmp/ permissions"

(for Xorg-7.7 reasons, my /tmp directory is root:root rwxr-xrwx)

I'm obviously missing something (hopefully, the something that can solve
my puzzle :).  I'd appreciate your help.here.

Thanks,
-- Alex