[syslinux] Syslinux "new" vs "old": strange difference on USB flash set-up

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 06:39:50 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 12:17 AM, alex lupu <alupu01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gene:
>
> I downloaded
>  syslinux-5.01.zip (8876698 bytes).
> (assuming that's the "binary" we've been talking about).
> After unzipping, the 'linux/syslinux' executable is 191644 bytes
> (a "little" different from my compiled one:  240002 bytes)

Thanks for trying the official binaries.  Often times it will be
different unless your build environment is identical (or possibly
extremely similar) to the one that made the official build.
Generally, the official binaries "just work", negating the need to
recompile anything for compatibility reasons (although philosophical
reasons may still exist).

> For reference:
> []$ linux/syslinux --version
>  linux/syslinux 5.01  Copyright 1994-2013 H. Peter Anvin et al

Typical.

> The command
>  linux/syslinux -s /dev/sdb                                               #
> or -i
> fails with
>  "possibly unsafe /tmp/ permissions"

Fails or warns?  Adding {echo $?} (in the example below) gives the
return.  What's the result?  Is it bootable?

    linux/syslinux -i /dev/sdb; echo $?

> (for Xorg-7.7 reasons, my /tmp directory is root:root rwxr-xrwx)

It probably should be rwxrwxrwt.

    chmod o+t /tmp

--
-Gene