[syslinux] isohybrid and partition type 0x17

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Apr 16 00:01:47 PDT 2013

Hi,

> I haven't been able to find the answer to my question anywhere in the
> ISO9660 standards.  It could be a bug in OFW (again, OLPC's).  This
> wouldn't be surprising, since no one currently uses the iso9660
> driver.

ISO 9660 / ECMA-119 covers the MBR only by:
"6.2.1 System Area and Data Area
The Volume Space shall be divided into a System Area and a Data Area.
The System Area shall occupy the Logical Sectors with Logical Sector
Numbers 0 to 15. The System Area shall be reserved for system use.
Its content is not specified by this Standard."

(The normal way for a PC BIOS to boot from optical media is via
 the El Torito Boot sector at block 17. This is halfways covered
 by ECMA-119 8.2. "Boot Sector". The full description is in
 El Torito specs by IBM and Phoenix.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas