[syslinux] Kernel selection by hardware?

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Thu Aug 1 12:52:09 PDT 2013

Am 01.08.2013 19:19, schrieb Sven Geggus:
> H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>
>> Are you network booting, or booting from media?
> It would be easy to do with pxeboot, but it's an USB flash drive I'm
> talking about.

I once ran into a quite similar problem, but solved it with a simple
kernel that ran on every machine and some initramfs magic with a
statically compiled kexec contained in intramfs that loaded the special
kernel (in this case via network) and kexec'd it. This should work for
your problem as well. If you already built kernels for every macine, it
should be OK to modify some 20 lines of shell code for the initramfs.
But now it's getting off the topic of this list, contact me on other
channels if you need more information.

Regards,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann!