[syslinux] bug in syslinux 6.01 with gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 02:49:09 PDT 2013

On Aug 2, 2013 3:45 AM, "Barto" <mister.freeman at laposte.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I notice a bug in syslinux 6.01 ( bios version ) when I install it in a
> USB flash drive ( FAT32 partition ) and when I want to boot this USB
> flash drive with a gigabyte motherboard ( GA-P31-DS3L ),
>
> I setup my usb flash drive ( 4 Gb ) like this in windows XP :
>
> syslinux.exe -m -a -i -d /boot/syslinux H:
>
> then I create a syslinux.cfg menu and I add these files :  chain.c32
> libcom32.c32 libutil.c32 memdisk menu.c32 vesamenu.c32
>
> the bug : the system freeze immediatly after booting the USB flash
> drive, I can see the menu created by syslinux.cfg but I can't use the
> keyboard,

Freezing versus ignoring input is hard to distinguish.

> If I delete the syslinux.cfg file the system freezes again, I can see
> the text message from syslinux ( copyright, version of the syslinux and
> command line ) but the keyboard doesn't respond, then I tried the -s
> switch from syslinux.exe ( slow, stupid mode ) but it doesn't help,

Great steps here. Trying without a config removes modules from the
situation.  Typically "-s" shows benefit if it is failing with EDD calls.

Do you see the boot prompt?

> If I install syslinux 4.04 the bug is gone, all is Ok, I can use the
> keyboard, no system freeze,

Tried 4.07 or 4.06?  Tried installing 4.04 then skip using "-m" with other
versions?

> something seems to be wrong in syslinux 6.01, my gigabyte motherboard (
> bios award F10A version, date : 07/30/2008, it's the last version )
> doesn't support syslinux 6.01,
>
> if I test with my another PC all is ok with syslinux 6.01 ( an old
> laptop ECS bought in 2003 ), but with my gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L ( intel
> P31 chipset, socket 775 ) there is a problem with syslinux 6.01, the
> solution for me is to use an old version of syslinux ( 4.04 ),
>
> Gigabyte motherboards are know to have problems with USB boot if the MBR
> code is not perfect, I think we can fix this problem because with
> syslinux 4.04 it work without problems

Any chance of trying a PS/2 keyboard if your current one is USB?

--Gene