[syslinux] Intel DX79TO localboot problem with CentOS

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 6 09:32:24 PDT 2013

On 08/06/2013 04:07 AM, Jonas Keidel wrote:

>> I think I had that issue with a first-generation uEFI-based system
>> (Dell Latitude E6410) that did this on me.
>
> And did You find any solution towards this?

So... there was a problem with some commonly-used UEFI BIOS core that
would lock up on "localboot 0".  I actually implemented a hack which
would try to detect a UEFI-based BIOS (keep in mind, detecting the UEFI
underneath the BIOS CSM layer is a bit complex) and actually change
"localboot 0" to "localboot -1".  Unfortunately that quirk seems to have
broken other machines, which makes it very hard to deal with.

At this point writing a Lua script detecting the offending machines and
choosing between localboot 0 and localboot -1 might be the best option.
 It would definitely be interesting to get more comprehensive
information of the offending machines.

Sigh.