[syslinux] com32 module compatibility between 5.x versions

Pete Batard pete at akeo.ie
Sat Aug 10 15:18:01 PDT 2013

On 2013.08.10 17:21, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Potentially, yes.

Now we're getting somewhere.

> I don't think 5.01 and 5.10 specifically have any
> chances, but changes could be at any time.

Which is fine, and pretty much what can be expected from any software at
any time.

Regardless of whether I embed the multiple versions of ldlinux.sys/.bss
in the app, or they come from the ISO, I will have to support any
differences in the installation protocols anyway. And doing that is
something that has always been on my radar as Syslinux evolves.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to find that the switch from 4.x to
5.x required no major changes in the FAT installation method (haven't
tried 6.x yet).

Thus, supporting 3, 4 or more wildly different installation procedures,
that I can mostly copy from the official Syslinux/win32 source, and that
are unlikely to result in more than a few extra KB of code, is no big
deal, so long as I could obtain the .sys+.bss from isolinux.bin.

Especially, it is much preferable to either:
- Embed a single specific version, most likely the latest stable, with
all possible .c32 modules, and having a single Syslinux installation
method... but that I need to upgrade as required with each Syslinux release.
- Embed all the .sys+.bss versions from 5.00 up, so that I can support
ISOs created with those versions, and still have to handle all the
installation methods for these versions, if any differences exist.

All in all, the amount of work required is basically the same.

However, being able to simply fetch the relevant .sys and .bss from
future ISOLINUX based ISOs would make a world of difference in terms of
how large the application needs to be, or how inconvenient it becomes
for users if requiring them to go online, to download the required
Syslinux files.

Regards,

/Pete