[syslinux] How to use syslinux(isolinux, etc.) for EFI?

何焜 kun.he at cs2c.com.cn
Wed Dec 11 18:22:58 PST 2013

Hi,

 When we meet UEFI or EFI firmware, lots of linux os release use
GRUB bootloader. But I wanna use isolinux to boot the installation
environment and also the linux os installed. Some question puzzled me. Now,
I look for your help:

 1. I didn't found information about how to use
syslinux(isolinux,etc.) in uefi. I wanna know that are there some
differences of the isolinux configuration between legacy bios ande efi and
what are they?

 2. Why lots of linux os release use grub but not isolinux
for efi?

 3. Is the syslinux.efi an embeded bootload for EBC environment
or an new reallize of isolinux?

 4. I can use booif command line option
'IPAPPEND 2' in the pxe configure file 'default' for legacy bios just like:
ksdevice=BOOTIF IPAPPEND 2

 but it doesn't work for efi mode.

 Thanks a
lot.