[syslinux] How to use syslinux(isolinux, etc.) for EFI?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:21:05 PST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM, 何焜 <kun.he at cs2c.com.cn> wrote:
>  When we meet UEFI or EFI firmware, lots of linux os release use
> GRUB bootloader. But I wanna use isolinux to boot the installation
> environment and also the linux os installed. Some question puzzled me. Now,
> I look for your help:
>
>  1. I didn't found information about how to use
> syslinux(isolinux,etc.) in uefi. I wanna know that are there some
> differences of the isolinux configuration between legacy bios ande efi and
> what are they?

To my knowledge, you can't boot syslinux.efi from ISO at this time.
I've tried to no avail (and this should be a bug in the bugzilla).

Regarding the configuration files, there are no differences.

>  2. Why lots of linux os release use grub but not isolinux
> for efi?
>
>  3. Is the syslinux.efi an embeded bootload for EBC environment
> or an new reallize of isolinux?

There is only syslinux.efi for EFI.  You just need to used the proper
architecture (EFI32 in efi32/ or EFI64 in efi64/)

>  4. I can use booif command line option
> 'IPAPPEND 2' in the pxe configure file 'default' for legacy bios just like:
> ksdevice=BOOTIF IPAPPEND 2
>
>  but it doesn't work for efi mode.

Could you show the entire LABEL (or your entire config)?  This is
working for me.

--
-Gene