[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Regid Ichira regid23 at nt1.in
Sun Feb 10 19:52:44 PST 2013

I made several attepmts using the tree of 5.01 2013.
My syslinux.cfg file has

    display /path_to/syslinux.cfg

directive.

1. The installation, with a --directory option, was successful.
   After boot I got syslinux boot prompt.  The syslinux.cfg was not
   displayed.  I guess that means the MBR was there, but not the
   partition boot sector.

Then I noticed the thread at
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2012-December/019024.html .
Couldn't find an ntfstest.exe in the tree.  Don't know if those tests
are relevant to my problems.  At this time I don't want to compile the
tree.  And not sure whether it is to be executed from the cmd prompt,
and what is the correct command line.  hd0 of the machine is only
30G.  hd0 1, the xp partition, is 14G.

2. The second attempt was to run syslinux.exe without a --directory
   option.  The installation succeded.  When booting, I got the
   display of /syslinux.cfg.  But booting to XP failed.  The
   message was:

     failed to load COM32 file chain.c32

   syslinux.cfg has the lines

        kernel chain.c32
        append hd0 1

3. I thought that while trying to look into it, I will also have
   syslinux running from c:\its_own_directory.  I tried two
   directories name.  With both names, syslinux.exe gave me

     Failed to move ldlinux.sys to destination directory: c:\dir\
     Failed to move ldlinux.c32 to destination directory: c:\dir\

   I can't tell why earlier syslinux.exe succeeded to install under
   a deeper directory, but with c:\a_directory_closer_to_c it failed.