[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Mon Feb 11 05:41:20 PST 2013

On Mon, 11 Feb, at 05:52:44AM, Regid Ichira wrote:
> I made several attepmts using the tree of 5.01 2013.
> My syslinux.cfg file has
>
>     display /path_to/syslinux.cfg
>
> directive.
>
> 1. The installation, with a --directory option, was successful.
>    After boot I got syslinux boot prompt.  The syslinux.cfg was not
>    displayed.  I guess that means the MBR was there, but not the
>    partition boot sector.

Could you paste your entire syslinux.cfg?

> 2. The second attempt was to run syslinux.exe without a --directory
>    option.  The installation succeded.  When booting, I got the
>    display of /syslinux.cfg.  But booting to XP failed.  The
>    message was:
>
>      failed to load COM32 file chain.c32
>
>    syslinux.cfg has the lines
>
>         kernel chain.c32
>         append hd0 1

Did you copy chain.c32, libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32 to your
installation directory? Were there any other error messages printed?

> 3. I thought that while trying to look into it, I will also have
>    syslinux running from c:\its_own_directory.  I tried two
>    directories name.  With both names, syslinux.exe gave me
>
>      Failed to move ldlinux.sys to destination directory: c:\dir\
>      Failed to move ldlinux.c32 to destination directory: c:\dir\
>
>    I can't tell why earlier syslinux.exe succeeded to install under
>    a deeper directory, but with c:\a_directory_closer_to_c it failed.

Did you create the subdirectory before running the Syslinux installer?
If I'm remembering correctly, the win installer will not create
subdirectories for you, they must already exist.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center