[syslinux] [syslinux.exe] Failures to use\install on xp+ntfs

Regid Ichira regid23 at nt1.in
Mon Feb 11 07:11:16 PST 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 01:41:20PM +0000, Matt Fleming wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb, at 05:52:44AM, Regid Ichira wrote:
> > I made several attepmts using the tree of 5.01 2013.
> > My syslinux.cfg file has
> >
> >     display /path_to/syslinux.cfg
> >
> > directive.
> >
> > 1. The installation, with a --directory option, was successful.
> >    After boot I got syslinux boot prompt.  The syslinux.cfg was not
> >    displayed.  I guess that means the MBR was there, but not the
> >    partition boot sector.
>
> Could you paste your entire syslinux.cfg?

    prompt   1
    timeout  150
    display  /otherPrograms/syslinux/syslinux.cfg

    default  0

    label xp
            kernel chain.c32
            append hd0 1

    label memtest
            kernel /otherPrograms/memtest86+.bin

  I am aware that default should point to something like xp.  Having
0 is intentional.  I also did modified the paths in the cfg file
before attempting to install to other directories below.

> > 2. The second attempt was to run syslinux.exe without a --directory
> >    option.  The installation succeded.  When booting, I got the
> >    display of /syslinux.cfg.  But booting to XP failed.  The
> >    message was:
> >
> >      failed to load COM32 file chain.c32
> >
> >    syslinux.cfg has the lines
> >
> >         kernel chain.c32
> >         append hd0 1
>
> Did you copy chain.c32, libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32 to your
> installation directory? Were there any other error messages printed?

  There were no other error messages.  I was not aware, and haven't
copied, chain.c32, libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32.  Are there more?
Where is it documented?
  The tree that I downloaded have the ELF files chain.c32,
libutil.c32 and libcom32.c32.  Will that work on XP?

> > 3. I thought that while trying to look into it, I will also have
> >    syslinux running from c:\its_own_directory.  I tried two
> >    directories name.  With both names, syslinux.exe gave me
> >
> >      Failed to move ldlinux.sys to destination directory: c:\dir\
> >      Failed to move ldlinux.c32 to destination directory: c:\dir\
> >
> >    I can't tell why earlier syslinux.exe succeeded to install under
> >    a deeper directory, but with c:\a_directory_closer_to_c it failed.
>
> Did you create the subdirectory before running the Syslinux installer?
> If I'm remembering correctly, the win installer will not create
> subdirectories for you, they must already exist.

  I did craete the subdirectory before installing.  Can I copy
those files myself before, or after, running syslinux?  If I
create a subdirectory and am able to create a file in it, does that
mean that syslinux.exe should also be able to create files in it?
I mean, is being able to create files myself in a subdiretory
eliminates the question of permissions?