[syslinux] Syslinux 5.00 - Doesn't boot my system / Not passing the kernel options to the kernel?

Shao Miller sha0.miller at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 10:47:21 PST 2013

On 1/4/2013 07:53, Igor Sverkos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Shao Miller wrote:
>> I see a difference between the two videos.  In the broken one:
>>
>>    cpuidle: using governor ladder
>>
>> In the working one:
>>
>>    cpuidle: using governor menu
>>
>> It doesn't seem to be getting past this difference.  If it was a problem
>> with the command-line not being passed, I would expect the broken case
>> to give a useful message about it with a kernel panic.
>
> To make sure, I wanted to recompile the kernel without CPU frequency
> scaling support. Not as easy as I thought ;)
>
> Is there a kernel option I can use for?

I don't know.  But now that you've shared the other screen-shots below,
it doesn't seem to be relevant.

> I disabled
>
>    Power management and ACPI Options  --->
>      CPU Frequency scaling  --->
>        [ ] CPU Frequency scaling
>
> which isn't enough:
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/23bwvedcbmgyb4c/syslinux5-cpufreq-disabled1.jpg>
>
> Disabling
>
>    Power management and ACPI Options  --->
>      ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support  --->
>        [ ] Processor
>
> finally allowed me to disable cpuidle. But I still don't see a useful
> message:
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5pgu0c18rju2nd/syslinux5-cpufreq-disabled2a.jpg>
>
> And BTW, the last output before the kernel panic varies:
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0xqqpqqj6v8x56/syslinux5-cpufreq-disabled2b.jpg>
>
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/8afl6oscuuh64bz/syslinux5-cpufreq-disabled2c.jpg>
>
> ...but no useful message at all :(

There is no observable kernel panic in any of these.  That is troubling.
  The "cpuidle" business was just a guess, but your screen-shots above
provide evidence that it was the wrong guess.

Does a kernel panic message appear after you click the OK button?

If you could get the kernel to spew out debugging messages to serial,
perhaps you could capture a kernel panic message.  I don't know what VM
software you are using, but I'm wondering if it is cutting off your
kernel panic message because it detects the CPU halt before updating the
display that you see.

- Shao Miller