[syslinux] Dynamic debugging how to WAS: Syslinux-6.02-pre2 - booting 32-bit kernels from efi64

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 11 17:13:46 PDT 2013

> Op 2013-07-11 om 16:17 schreef Matt Fleming:
> > On Wed, 10 Jul, at 03:44:57PM, Andreas Heinlein wrote:
> > >
> > > Any further info I can give you to debug this? Are there any
> > > specific requirements for the kernel?
> >
> > You could try running,
> >
> > debug.c32 -e efi_boot_linux handover_boot
> >
> > before executing your kernel.
>

> Euh how? Where?
>
> In a syslinux config file?
> At the `boot:` prompt?
>
> Please provide an example.
>

> Regards
> Geert Stappers
> In an attempt to grasp the Syslinux dynamic debugger

One way to do it would be as follows.

  *** syslinux.cfg start ***

# Avoid using [vesa]menu when debugging, unless _really_ necessary
#  so comment out any UI directive.
# Generic example; actual paths and names might need correction.

DEFAULT debug_module
PROMPT 1

LABEL debug_module
COM32 debug.c32
APPEND -e efi_boot_linux handover_boot
# actual debug parameters might be different for each case.

LABEL my_image
LINUX my_kernel.efi
INITRD my_initrd
APPEND my_additional_kernel_parameters
# correct paths where necessary

  *** syslinux.cfg start ***

1_ Boot (to prompt).
2_ Press [ENTER] (so 'debug_module' will be executed)
3_ Once again in the boot prompt, type in 'my_image' and press
[ENTER].
4_ Take note, be patient, report feedback.

HTH,
Ady.