[syslinux] Unable to boot with syslinux-5.1x from git

Matt Fleming matt at console-pimps.org
Fri Jul 12 07:19:24 PDT 2013

On Fri, 12 Jul, at 01:54:21AM, Igor Sverkos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, I was finally able to build syslinux-5.11-pre8 from git, but the
> system doesn't boot with the self-compiled version. All I see is:
>
> http://666kb.com/i/cfplluqpcy6owptq3.jpg
>
> Build log can be found in http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-July/020452.html
>
> After I installed the self-compiled syslinux version, I run this commands:
>
> # cd /boot/extlinux
> # rm -rf *.c32
> # extlinux --upgrade /boot/extlinux
> # cp -n /usr/share/syslinux/*.c32 /boot/extlinux
> # dd bs=440 conv=notrunc count=1 if=/usr/share/syslinux/gptmbr.bin of=/dev/sda
> # reboot
>
> (/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf is untouched)
>
> ...but this seems not to be related to syslinux-5.11-pre8.
>
> syslinux-5.10 from source (=the tarball you provide) does work.
>
> I also tried syslinux-5.10 from git - same error.
>
> So there must be something wrong when I build from git. CFlags?
> LDFlags? UPX? I have absolute no idea where to start debugging with
> this error.

ld: libpng/pngrtran.o: warning: relocation against `png_do_read_filler' in readonly section `.text'.
ld: warning: creating a DT_TEXTREL in object.

Looks like your files aren't position-independent. What does,

  file com32/gpllib/dmi/dmi.o

say?

> If you think this is worth to debug, I am happy to follow your commands ;)
> If you don't think this is worth to debug (because building from
> tarball will work and you will ever release such an archive), I can
> understand (I tried to build from source, because I am unable to boot
> memtest 4.20 from PXE with 5.10 release and read in the ML that this
> should be fixed in 5.11...).

There is no fix for memtest in 5.11-pre* currently.

--
Matt Fleming, Intel Open Source Technology Center