[syslinux] Booting an ISO with FreeDOS over PXE with memdisk

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Sun Mar 3 01:27:40 PST 2013

Bernd Blaauw wrote:

> Op 1-3-2013 17:27, Per Jessen schreef:
>
>>> You probably want to replace CDDRV.SYS (which almost certainly tries
>>> to do direct I/O to the CD-ROM drive) with ELTORITO.SYS (which is
>>> included in the Syslinux distribution.)
>>
>> Thanks Peter - I did try that already, but it also reported "No
>> bootable CDROM found".
>
> This should work, provided the ISO itself uses El-Torito non-emulation
> (usually experienced by seeing an Isolinux or GRUB menu).

I saw none of those.

> A tool giving some feedback is ETDUMP
> ( http://www.nu2.nu/utils/#ettool ).
>
> Should the CD use El-Torito floppy emulation or harddisk emulation,
> you're pretty much out of luck with regard to accessing the rest of
> the CD content.

Aha, thanks Bernd.
This ISO clearly uses floppy emulation. The boot image is a 1.44" floppy
with FreeDOS.  The rest of the data on the CD are 400Mb of firmware
images for a number of different cards and motherboards.

Many thanks for your help everyone - I have worked around the problem by
cutting out all the unnecessary firmware data and packing only what I
need into one floppy image.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (1.6°C)