[syslinux] Allowed code pages and encodings to write f0.txt through f1.txt?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 19:23:05 PDT 2013

On Mar 26, 2013 7:44 PM, "Didier Spaier" <didier.spaier at epsm.fr> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Slackware's installer, that I am internationalizing, makes use of
ISOLINUX.

> I want to give instructions to users in other languages than US English,
e.g. which code to type
> to see installation messages in their native language.
>
> So my question are:
>
> (1) Which character encodings can be used in message.txt and f1.txt
through f1O.txt?

Assuming vesamenu.c32 and gfxboot.c32 are not in the mix, BIOS native
codepage only.  You can use whatever 8-bit characters you want but the
user's PC's BIOS does the codepage selection.

Some past Ubuntu ISOs did a fancy job with gfxboot.c32.

> (2) Is UTF-8 allowed?

Same.

> (3) I'm guessing that information in /codebase could be useful to answer
my questions but
>     don't know how I could use it. Could you please shed some light on
this directory's
>     content purpose and usage? (I'm not a programmer).

Assuming you mean codepage/, that's for FAT* long file name translation
only, translating a 16-bit character to an 8-bit.

> TIA for your answers
>
> Didier

--Gene