[syslinux] Question about syslinux EFI alpha version

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Thu May 9 05:48:52 PDT 2013

Am 09.05.2013 13:19, schrieb Matt Fleming:
> On 05/08/2013 02:51 PM, Andreas Heinlein wrote:
>> Am 07.05.2013 15:05, schrieb Klaus Knopper:
>>> Could you please send me a signed copy of your syslinux.efi for 63 and
>>> 32bit? Maybe it's just my compile environment.
>> Hello,
>>
>> may I also apply for a copy?
>>
>> I'm one of the authors of the Ubuntu Privacy Remix live system and I am
>> currently trying to accomplish much the same like Klaus, i.e. keep our
>> Syslinux-based boot menus and configs while making the whole thing work
>> on EFI-systems as well.
> The 6.00 preleases include copies of syslinux.efi for both 32-bit and
> 64-bit at efi32/efi/syslinux.efi and efi64/efi/syslinux.efi,
> respectively. You shouldn't need to request copies form me explicitly
> unless, like Klaus, you're trying to debug something.
Thanks for the hint. Where am I supposed to find these? I found a
tarball of syslinux-6.00-pre4 by googling here:
http://ftp.be.debian.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/6.00/syslinux-6.00-pre4.tar.gz.
There indeed I can find the two binaries.
Is this what you mean? I checked out the git repository at tag
syslinux-6.00-pre4 and could not find any prebuilt binaries there.
Sorry if I missed something.
>> Since I'm not that good at compiling and debugging low-level code (much
>> less than Klaus', I assume..) I'd be very happy to test a compiled
>> binary. BTW: Will it be neccessary to use Syslinux 6 on the "classic"
>> BIOS side as well, or can the configs be shared with Syslinux 5 or
>> even 4?
> Configs are generally backwards compatible. I can't think of any
> directives between 4.x, 5.x and 6.x that have been deprecated.

Glad to hear that. I remember an incompatible change between 3.x and 4.x
regarding the UI/default directive, that's why I asked.

Thanks,
Andreas