[syslinux] installing only pxelinux?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 00:52:57 PDT 2013

> The wiki (http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX) still says:
>
>    "copy pxelinux.0 (from the SYSLINUX distribution) and any
>     kernel or initrd images that you want to boot"
>
> like I've been doing forever, but how do I know what else I need, and
> whether I'm missing libs or something they require?
>
> I was thinking of 'make install', but Makefile apparently compiles
> everything, and if that's the preferred way I'll go that route; mostly
> I'm looking for some guidance:  what's the "best" way to populate a
> /tftpboot/ with the necessary PXELINUX files?

No need to 'make' anything :). Search the Syslinux wiki for "Library
modules". I'm not saying it will solve every single problem you might
have with version 6.02, but it will give you a generic answer to your
question.

Regarding /tftpboot/ and mixing BIOS and EFI files, this ML has some
prior threads about the same topic already. Unfortunately, there is
no easy way to effectively search the ML and find what you might be
looking for, so you might need to manually go through the mailing
list archives.

Regards,
Ady.