[syslinux] efi build dependent on git update

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Dec 30 08:29:29 PST 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 09:34:57AM -0500, Michael Sumulong wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 8:36 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Michael Sumulong wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In efi/build-gnu-efi.sh, there's a "git submodule update --init" command
> > > which is causing a compilation issue on my build. I currently build in an
> > > offline environment so doing a git update isn't possible. Should this
> > > command be included only for development?
> >
> > 1) patch to not call git when not present has been prepared for after
> > 6.03 along with multiple other patches.
>
> 1) Sorry I didn't see that patch. I was just looking at
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git/

Where the youngst patch is three month old.

So where is the patch to not call git when not present?

> > 2) as packaged, it's a binary and source archive file.  Why build?
> > How did you build?
>
> 2) I use Buildroot to build syslinux for the target. I don't use the
> packaged binaries because my host (build) machine is x86-64 but the targets
> that I build for could be either i386 or x86-64. Right now, I can only get
> the bios option to compile (having issues with efi32/64 but I don't need
> those right now). I had to patch lzo/Makefile to use the host's compiler
> since Buildroot sets $(CC) as the target compiler since prepcore is
> executed on during the build.

What I understand from the native syslinux build system,
is that it compiles bootloaders the environment where it will run.
So even on x86-64 hosts, it will build i386 targets.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven