[syslinux] Very slow download with pxelinux > 4.07 on specific hardware

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 09:16:16 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Eric PEYREMORTE
<eric.peyremorte at iut-valence.fr> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We had to setup a pxelinux on a new server (windows 2012) and used the
> latest release of pxelinux 6.0.2.
>
> Everything went ok on my first client test machine : dell optiplex 740. Pxe
> was really fast (vesamenu with large background image was appearing in less
> than 3 secondes)
>
> But on different client machine i got different results :
>
> On optiplex 790 (core i5 with intel 82579 nic) and 380 (core 2 duo with bcm
> 57xx), it takes 1 minute for the menu to appear.
>
> On  optiplex 7010(core i5 92579lm), it is as fast as with optiplex 740.
>
> At the beginning i thought it was because my newer machine were on an efi
> bios, but the 7010 is too and i have no problem(i always use legacy boot).
>
> With pxelinux 4.0.7, everything is running smooth. I think i'll stick with
> this version. But i think i'm loosing some interesting features...
>
> Any clue ?

Have you checked if any BIOS/Firmware updates the PXE OROM on these
systems?  6.03-pre2 was just released last night and may also be worth
testing.  lpxelinux.0 uses lwIP instead of the traditional API calls
and might be another point worth testing.

--
-Gene