[syslinux] [RFC, PATCH] core/pxe: Add architecture-specific discovery request for PXE config file

Don Cupp doncuppjr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 24 09:30:51 PST 2014

In other words, the dhcp server has to start the client on the correct binary for it's arch and by virtue of running different bins, we can determine the most appropriate config file for the client?

On Monday, February 24, 2014 9:13 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> wrote:

> When serving PXE config files to machines of different architectures
> (requiring separate boot images and config files), this means we
> cannot use the autodisovery mechanism without having prior knowledge of
> a MAC/IP/uuid-to-architecture mapping.

Actually, you can.  COM32 modules are not usable across architectures.
I'd suggest separating them to different directories.  I don't think
I've documented this alternate strategy yet but the overview is to
place each in differing directories then determine a strategy for
shared content (if any).  If symlinks are allowed on the tftpd system
(ie a Linux box with ext3), this would probably be the easiest
strategy as you otherwise need to develop a strategy for specifying
URL-like file locations.  Generally ".." in a URL is a bad idea.

Quick example:

Return a boot file name of "pxelinux.0" or "bios/pxelinux.0" for BIOS
clients, "efi32/bootia32.efi" for EFI x86 and "efi64/bootx64.efi" for
EFI x86-64.

--
-Gene

Unsubscribe or set options at: