[syslinux] After USB boot problems on Gigabyte GA-M55Plus-S3G

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 21 12:30:47 PST 2014

> Hi,
>
> hpa:
> > The mkdiskimage tool in the Syslinux distribution exists for this reason.
>
> Then
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX#Creating_a_Bootable_Disk
> should point to a tutorial for mkdiskimage.
>
> I cannot spot any occurence of "mkdiskimage" in
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX
>   http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/HowTos
>
> Is there already a description at other places ?

FWIW, see "./doc/usbkey.txt" in official Syslinux archives.

Also at:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Doc/usbkey

And also at:
http://git.zytor.com/?p=syslinux/syslinux.git;a=blob;f=doc/usbkey.txt;
h=33613d69632b6108a1638fa00abe665386de78dd;hb=HEAD

> me:
> > > This is used as an (inofficial ?) protocol to publish
> > > the CHS factors H' and S'.
> hpa:
> > Indeed it is -- at least some BIOSes "deduce" the H/S to use from that.
>
> If the end CHS address is regularly visible in partitioning
> tools, then this is worth a short statement about the importance
> of good H and S values in the end address.
> (fdisk -l shows them only when it complains.)

Fdisk shows the geometry almost always, and it can also be changed if
necessary.

For the vast majority, I don't see the need to "play" with geometry
nowadays (and for the few last years already). Just create a new
partition table with default values.

Regards,
Ady.