[syslinux] iPXE chain to lpxelinux.0 6.03-pre17 inconsistencies and failures

Alexander Perlis aperlis at math.lsu.edu
Thu Jul 3 18:13:37 PDT 2014

On 07/03/2014 06:31 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2014 11:13 AM, Alexander Perlis wrote:
>
>  > Or is there a different (non-ipxe?) way we can locally boot a machine
> and get it to chain to our 6.0x pxelinux server?
>
> Unless this is a completely isolated network, talk with your IT department.
>
> If there's no DHCP, make a simple server. If there's DHCP and no boot
> info, add a PXE server that listens to DHCP requests and only offers
> boot info. If there's DHCP with boot info but no PXE, a PXE may work. If
> there's a DHCP and PXE, you'll need to talk with the administrators.

I'll take that as a "no". :)

I suppose we could try making an ISOLINUX CD for the local boot, which
then uses pxechn.c32 to connect to our PXE server?

That is, perhaps the way pxechn.c32 loads and transfers control to
lpxelinux.0 is different from the way that ipxe does it (thereby perhaps
avoiding the hang/reboot we're seeing)?

Or is (l)pxelinux.0 sensitive to being chainloaded no matter who is
doing the chainloading?

Alex