[syslinux] isohybrid: slint64-14.1.iso: unable to find mac efi image

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:24:13 PDT 2014

> Hi,
>
> Ady wrote:
> >  cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/man/cdrtools-3.01axx/mkisofs.8.html
> >  Mac  Boot entries for the Apple Mac platform.
>
> Interesting feature. But the El Torito specs of Phoenix and
> IBM of 1994 state that "Mac" would be Platform Id 2.
>   http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/specscdrom.pdf
>   Page 9, Figure 2, Offset 1 of Validation Entry.

I don't understand why you say "*But* the El Torito...". I don't see
a difference with what the mkisofs manual says.

Where I see some kind of source for potential confusion (at least for
some users) is (quoting Thomas, but he is not the source of the
potential confusion):
"This program expects to find the UEFI image as second boot image and
the Mac image as third boot image. Both with Platform Id 0xef."

My understanding is that:
 0=x86 , 1=PowerPC , 2=Mac
are all non-EFI systems, which leaves "0xef" for "every" (U)EFI
system, whether such (U)EFI system is EFI 1.0, UEFI 2.x, a Mac-EFI
system, or some mix/non-standard firmware.

So, users should be more specific (or clear) when they refer to a
"Mac" system, as the firmware could be non-EFI, or (some variant of)
(U)EFI.

Just as a remainder, "-eltorito-platform 0xEF" is equivalent to
"-eltorito-platform efi" in mkisofs.

I would also suggest, at least **for test(s)**, to use the latest
mkisofs (ATM, 3.01a24), and perhaps mixing it with Syslinux
6.03-pre19 (or newer). Although... The scripts/receipts for using
Syslinux 6.xx in Slackware would need changes, and I am certainly
_not_ suggesting to actually update Slackware to use Syslinux 6.xx.

Regards,
Ady.