[syslinux] isohybrid: slint64-14.1.iso: unable to find mac efi image

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Jul 29 08:37:16 PDT 2014

Hi,

Ady wrote:
>  cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/man/cdrtools-3.01axx/mkisofs.8.html
>  Mac  Boot entries for the Apple Mac platform.

Interesting feature. But the El Torito specs of Phoenix and
IBM of 1994 state that "Mac" would be Platform Id 2.
  http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/specscdrom.pdf
  Page 9, Figure 2, Offset 1 of Validation Entry.

The ISO image slint64-14.1.iso exposed by Didier, shows in
the Validation Entry of the boot catalog: platform Id = 0.
The Section Header of the next section shows platform id = 0xef.
The next section header bears platform id = 1.

This is what isohybrid.c does dislike.
It's not incidential but explicitely written in its code.

Some background is told in
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/11285.html
More adventures of Matthew Garrett get shown by googling
"mjg59 mac boot".

> If the isohybrid tool expects to use "efi" for "Mac" and/or for
> "PPC", then perhaps this might be part of the problem (if not now, at
> least at some point)?

Hard to say. It appears that Macs have variformous firmware,
and that what lets one machine boot lets the other machine fail.

I can tell you how to perform HFS+ blessing on byte level.
(Thanks to Vladimir Serbinenko who contributed HFS+ code to
 libisofs.)
But i cannot tell you when and why a blessing has to be issued
in order to achieve which beneficial effect.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas