[syslinux] Cannot chain to another PXE server on the same subnet

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 03:31:05 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com>
> It's been a while since I used Yahoo but I didn't think I had
> that issue.  GMail does default to top-posting

Doing it manually... didn't find that option.

> Perhaps also try -o 43.x=01:04:0a:d7:90:3c:ff (which will set the
> mtftp option) in addition to -W.

Tried it but still the same error.

> Thanks.  I'm guessing this is a lab or this is sanitized.

sanitized (no real reason to but I guess it's common practice)

> I presume changing only next-server and filename results in success to
> boot the Altiris NBP?

Oops, I misjudged the situation. It does NOT work if I replace with:

next-server 10.215.144.60;
filename "/BStrap/x86pc/BStap.0";

It gives me the same error message (sorry).

It starts working if I remove the whole class "pxeclient" clause, ie. I remove next-server, filename and the whole class.

So where is my PXE client picking up the information?
I'm guessing it may be the Altiris PXE server doing some DHCP on its own but the admin of that system told me that it wasn't.
I'm going to have to check that out.

In any case, my client doesn't seem to like booting "/BStrap/x86pc/BStap.0" and this may not be the right image to boot.
I'm not an expert in Altiris architecture.
I guess I should be listening to traffic on the Altiris server.

Thanks,

Vieri