[syslinux] Syslinux EFI + TFTPBOOT Support

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 02:24:47 PST 2014

> On 2014/3/7  05:23, Gene Cumm wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Bryan Romine <bromine1027 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Sorry for the confusion, I am actually using 6.02. It turns out that I was
> >> trying to use the 32-bit efi binary to load 64-bit kernels. I switched to
> >> using "syslinux64.efi" but it hangs during boot, just before loading the
> >> menu. I have not been able to get it to load the menu successfully. Here are
> >> the debug messages:
> >
> > Do you mean efi64/efi/syslinux.efi?  Any chance you can try the
> > precompiled binaries from 6.03-pre7 from kernel.org?
> >
> > What exact make and model of your CPU and system/motherboard?  What
> > BIOS/firmware version?  There's a significant chance you only have
> > EFI32 services so EFI64 syslinux.efi isn't an option.
> >
> I'd like to test the syslinux 6.03-pre7 EFI network booting.
> Is there any doc which I can follow?
> Basically I can test as this doc describes:
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-netboot-pxe-config-efi.html
> Just need to know how to replace grub with syslinux efi64/syslinux.efi
> and those c32/e64 modules in the tftpboot dir.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Steven.
> --

Hi Steven,

Perhaps this could be of some basic sample/help, being based on
Debian:

where:
_ if gpxelinux.0 is needed, it should probably be replaced by ipxe.
_ lpxelinux.0 (from official Syslinux archive) could optionally be
added.

_ from the Syslinux official archive, "efi32/efi/syslinux.efi" should
be copied as:
tftp/
    +-- pxelinux
        +-- bootia32.efi

_ from the Syslinux official archive, "efi64/efi/syslinux.efi" should
be copied as:
tftp/
    +-- pxelinux
        +-- bootx64.efi

The layout of the TFTP server being used is included in there too.

Regards,
Ady.