[syslinux] Can't UEFI boot PXELinux on WDS server

Aaron Hancock aaron.hancock at venafi.com
Fri Nov 7 10:23:30 PST 2014

>> DHCP seems to be working properly - returning the correct boot file
>>> for the architecture of the PXE client, but when I try to boot
>>> syslinux.efi, it gets the file then keeps requesting ldinux.e64 over
>>> and over again.  The file is there and available.  A wireshark trace
>>> shows it keeps requesting the file, followed by the server responding
>the blksize and tsize options, but then
>>> the client just continues requesting the file.   After a few dozen
failed
>>> attempts it then tries to get the boot\x64\/boot/isolinux/ldlinex.e64
>> file for a few dozen more tries.
>>>

>>I am not sure what you meant with "returning the correct boot file for
>>the
>architecture of the PXE client". A UEFI IA32 client (architecture-type =
>00:06) should look for the syslinux.efi file from efi32 (which then looks
for ldlinux.e32), and similarly for UEFI
>>x86_64 (syslinux.efi + ldlinux.e64). The file can be renamed (e.g. to
>bootia32.efi, bootx64.efi) if the dhcp configuration is also changed
accordingly. What I mean is that the syslinux.efi file _is_ the "boot file",
so what "boot file for the architecture of the PXE client" you are referring
to?.

>I have DHCP policies set up to return a different bootfile name depending
on the VCI advertised by the client.  E.g. When the client reports DHCP
Option
>60 as "PXEClient:Arch:00007:UNDI:003016" the DHCP server returns Option 67
as "\boot\x64\syslinux.efi"

>>Regarding the path you mentioned, the "isolinux" part seems strange.
>>There is no "isolinux" in UEFI. I have seen such misunderstanding
>>before,
>so you are not the only one. I am not saying that you cannot use such
pathprefix, but I would suggest avoiding such potential confusion.

>Understood - It looks like the .efi image tries [path to syslinux.efi
containing folder]ldlinux.e64 .  If that fails, then it tries [path to
syslinux.efi containing folder]/ldlinux.e64.  If that fails then it tries
the isolinux file previously mentioned.  This is from a wireshark capture
and TFTP server log.

>>FWIW, there is also a typo in your report (ldlinex.e64 should be
>ldlinux.e64).
>
>Sorry about that - eyes glazing over after hours of troubleshooting :)
>
>>And the most important detail... Are you using Syslinux 6.03 final?
>>Or is this a pre-prelease? Are you using the official upstream
>>pre-built
>binaries downloaded from kernel.org? Or are you using some distro package?
>Or perhaps your own build?
>>
>Yes - downloaded from
>https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-6.03.zip
>>
>>Please try the official upstream pre-built binaries from version 6.03
>final, and remember that any version mismatch (e.g. between syslinux.efi
and
>ldlinux.e64 and additional c32 files) shall be avoided.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ady.
>

>Thanks for the response,
>Aaron

After testing 3 different TFTP servers, I tried a different PXE system and
it worked.  Looks like the problem was with the Dell Latitiude E6330 I was
testing with.  Just upgraded the BIOS from A01 to A14 and it works now too.

Thanks again for the help!

Aaron