[syslinux] Syslinux 6.03, kernel not relocatable.

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Nov 18 10:24:15 PST 2014

On 11/18/2014 10:20 AM, Didier Spaier wrote:

> On 18/11/2014 18:55, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>> On 11/17/2014 12:55 AM, Didier Spaier wrote:
>>> So one more question: why can one boot with a GRUB EFI bootloader
>>> but not with the SYSLINUX bootloader, using the same kernel?
>>>
>>> More accurately, I know why: because of the aforementioned patch, but
>>> then, why is this test needed in SYSLINUX only?
>>>
>> Because Grub boots the kernel in a "hostile" way (not using the stub.)
>>
>>     -hpa
>>
> OK. Could you please provide pointers on documents explaining
> (ideally in a way understandable by regular users of SYSLINUX):
> _what are the inconveniences, risks, ... of booting the "hostile way"
> _why you made a different choice in SYSLINUX

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of people volunteering to write
documentation, however, see the Linux kernel documentation referenced
below.  Let's just say the Syslinux code was written by the Linux EFI
maintainer.

Current kernels have:

config EFI_STUB
       bool "EFI stub support"
       depends on EFI && !X86_USE_3DNOW
       select RELOCATABLE			<-----
       ---help---
          This kernel feature allows a bzImage to be loaded directly
          by EFI firmware without the use of a bootloader.

          See Documentation/efi-stub.txt for more information.

> Also, is that situation going to change in a foreseeable feature?

No.