[syslinux] PXE booting WinPE with UEFI architecture

Michael Brown mcb30 at ipxe.org
Thu Sep 4 06:00:30 PDT 2014

On 04/09/14 13:31, Jason Jones wrote:
> This got me closer, but it got to "Encapsulating winpe.wim..." and never went through the rest of the way. Ultimately PXELINUX apparently timed out and the machine rebooted.
>
> Here is relative portion of pxelinux:
>
> LABEL SCCM OSD Boot
> MENU LABEL ^2. SCCM OSD Boot
>          com32 linux.c32
>          append wimboot initrdfile=bootmgr.exe,BCD,boot.sdi,winpe.wim

The UEFI version of wimboot does not expect to find its files wrapped up
into an initrd; it uses the EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL to retrieve
them from the underlying media.

It would be fairly simple to extend the UEFI version of wimboot to
handle an initrd, but I have no immediate plans to do so.

Michael