[syslinux] Determine from which device syslinux booted from

Mattias Schlenker ms at mattiasschlenker.de
Mon Sep 29 23:58:50 PDT 2014

Am 30.09.2014 um 01:42 schrieb Don Cupp:
> Then again, I suppose you could have a script in your init that detects when it has been booted from a *special* UUID. In such cases it goes to the first instance of a volume with that *special* UUID and re-writes it to a genuine UUID, as well as updates the syslinux configs on the volume. You could then create your seed image with that *special* UUID and then even an XP user could write it to a thumb drive with DiskImage.

Just to back this suggestion: This is what I do in LessLinux. The ISO
images are hybrid ISOs, but it was required to make a system installed
on the USB drive upgradeable and not to lose the space not occupied by
the ISO. So some initrams magic moves the ISO to the end of the device,
creates a partition for it and boot partitions (one for UEFI, one for
BIOS). Then the UUID of the filesystem is determined and written to the
extlinux.conf to identify the boot device. Since the UUID is unique
there are no problems when more than one thumbdrive with LessLinux is
present.

Yours,
Mattias

--
Mattias Schlenker - Redaktion + EDV-Beratung + Linux-CD/DVD-Konzepte
August-Bebel-Str. 74 - 04275 LEIPZIG - GERMANY

Telefon (VoIP "ueberall"), geschaeftlich: +49 341 39290767
Telefon (Festnetz), privat und Fax:       +49 341 30393578
Mobil:                                    +49 163  6953657
Mobil (SIM in Testgeraeten):              +49 1578 3499550

Bitte fuer geschaeftliche Telefonate vorzugsweise die VoIP-Telefonnummer
+49 341 39290767 verwenden, da ich diese aufs Mobiltelefon routen kann.