[syslinux] change SERIAL baudrate as-needed?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 25 21:41:35 PDT 2015

> On 04/23/2015 03:07 PM, Steve Rikli via Syslinux wrote:
> > I've got a working PXELINUX 6.03 setup (which started as 3.08 way back in
> > the old days :-) ), with this definition in the top-level default menu:
> >
> > SERIAL 0 9600
> >
> > This has been fine for years, but recently we've added a new pool of
> > systems which we need to run at 115200 on their serial consoles.
> >
> > I can't change the default 9600 (still lots of systems running and
> > getting installed that way), so I'm wondering:  can I simply re-define
> >
> > SERIAL 0 115200
> >
> > in some sub-menu for the appropriate pool of systems?  I haven't simply
> > tried it yet since I'll need to reconfigure terminal server ports, so
> > I thought I'd check to see if anyone else does something like this
> > before I try it.
> >

> In a submenu, no, but you can use CONFIG to chain a different
> configuration file which can have a different SERIAL directive.
>
> 	-hpa

Hmm... In "doc/syslinux.txt" (as of v.6.03, line #473), the
documentation for the SERIAL directive states:

	This option is "sticky" and is not automatically reset when

If the SERIAL *parameters* can indeed be changed by loading a new
configuration file by means of the CONFIG directive, then the
documentation (doc/, man/, txt/, wiki) for the SERIAL directive might
need some clarification / improvement.

Would someone care to comment / clarify / explain here?

TIA,
Ady.