[syslinux] EFI: HP + syslinux = crash

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:27:18 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Oscar Roozen via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> On 04-08-15 17:38, Oscar Roozen wrote:

>> Any suggestions while I keep on debugging?

> Got some result!
>
> I was using 'vesamenu.c32' to display a menu. Changing this to 'menu.c32'
> resulted in a booting system! Okay, the menu is not that beautiful, but the
> system boots very well right now.

Excellent!  I do seem to recall someone saying there's a
quirk/bug/interaction in vesamenu.c32 on EFI but not finding it

> Now... why is vesamenu.c32 crashing like it does now? Why is the version I

Without opening up the VESA-only code, I'd suspect some BIOS-isms.
Remember that vesamenu.c32 and menu.c32 only differ by the inclusion
of VESA code and the default VESA mode.

> tried without Gene's latest patches crashing before even beginning to load
> the first stage: ldlinux.e64?

It _probably_ had issues finding the NIC properly.

--
-Gene