[syslinux] [syslinux:master] efi/pxe: Reuse handle

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 05:25:08 PDT 2015

 Hmm... Shamelessly, and off-topic, but not _that_ much... :)

 For several months we have seen reports (of different matters) here in
 the Syslinux Mailing List in which some HP model(s) have been having
 problems network-booting (in UEFI mode; I don't recall whether there
 were also reports using BIOS/CSM mode).

 Among the several reports involving HP
 hardware, I happen to remember
 at least one case of those, brought up by Patrick, if I am not
 mistaken, (and somewhat reported to HP too). Although updates to the
 UEFI firmware in that case were published and available from HP, the
 updates where *only* available for "Windows OS", in spite of having
 other categories of downloads for the same model, such as "independent
 (of OS)" and "Linux" - as if the firmware would be dependent on OS :O.

 At the time, my assumption (which I posted in the mailing list
 too) was  that HP was/is providing a way to update the firmware from a Windows OS
 only (and probably - my assumption continues - HP tests and
 supports  these updates under Windows environments *only*).

 In the HP website, when selecting the "Linux" category of downloads for
 the HP model in that particular case, one firmware update was available
 too, but it happens to be old, whereas several updates are available
 through the "Windows OS" category, with more-than-a-few
 "fixed" items  in the changelog history.

 Why is this relevant? Because the HP mod el was reported to be failing

 to network-boot syslinux.efi -> Linux
 (IIRC), and the chances that a  firmware update could solve
the problem in that case were/are not  discarded at all.

 It could be beneficial to see HP updating the firmware for  "non-Windows" users
 too (i.e. taking care of the problems, testing and  publishing the updates for these
 "other" users / cases).

 Who knows, maybe we could even see some bugs in
 Syslinux solved,  specific hardware tested,
 and firmware updates with relevant patches
 published (for all).

 Or, maybe this will be left here as a random rant, with no positive
 consequences :(.

 Regards,
 Ady.

<<<

Hi Ady,
Right after the EFI Pre-OS environment (FW) PXE boots "syslinux.efi", it is this
application the one that invoking EFI net resources (Binding Services) transfers
the rest of syslinux components (ldlinux.e64, etc etc). It comes to happen that
certain non EFI conformant FWs lack of some of the needed resources making
impossible to completely PXE boot syslinux (minimally get a menu on client's screen).

Today there are certain PCs i.e Elitebook 2560p, Elitebook 8460p that with
updated FW ""to the last known version"" cannot PXE boot syslinux for the
above mentioned reasons.

We have already talked about this with Gene an there's an strategy for making
syslinux able to deal with these "weirdo" FWs.
It's just a matter of time for coding it.

Best,
Patrick