[syslinux] [syslinux:master] efi/pxe: Reuse handle

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 05:27:51 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Patrick Masotta via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

>  website (meaning, HP could test their firmware to be compatible with
>  Syslinux and with non-Windows OSes). If the HP firmware could be made
>  (more) compliant with UEFI specs, or if it could be improved and still
>  be compliant with UEFI specs, wouldn't that be helpful to everyone
>  involved?
>
>  Regards,
>  Ady.
>  <<<<
>
> HP (and the rest) should just check their firmware against the "UEFI standard".
> Plus FW new versions should fix more than just only critical and security issues.
> Today is like this: You say you want better firmware? OK, then buy our new line of PC.
> i.e. Elitebooks 2560p/8460p fail while the newer Elitebooks 2570p/8470p work
> like a charm :-/

As stated before, it is my understanding that the Elitebook
2560p/8460p devices _are_compliant_ with UEFI-2.0 which stated to use
an SNP directly under PXEBC while UEFI-2.1 stated to use a MNP
directly under the PXEBC.  Please don't call these devices
non-compliant UNLESS you are more specific.

Another solution that I'm not sure if anyone has tried with these
devices that are UEFI-2.0-compliant and UEFI-2.1-noncompliant is using
iPXE to stack ontop of the underlying firmware to run Syslinux.

Regarding HP and the lack of "support", I always consider "support" as
something you can contact technical support about while "functional"
is more community-supported.  It's common to find a lack of Linux
support.

--
-Gene