[syslinux] efi mboot xen linux problem

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:43:11 PDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get xen booted on a new mainboard I bought using
> efi-syslinux/mboot. No success so far. When I choose the xen menu entry
> except from some characters being wiped from the bottom of the screen
> nothing is happening.
>
> I have made a typo in the xen kernel filename. Nothing changed, no
> errors about wrong a filename were displayed
>
> Initially I compiled syslinux 6.03 (slackware64, gcc 4.8.2). After this
> I used the efi64 files from a debian package
> (syslinux-common_6.03+dfsg-10_all.deb)
>
> Nothing changed.
>
> It looks like the system stops after loading mboot.c32

In addition to possible regressions and limitations (and suggested
patches pending for several years) in/for mboot.c32, I am not sure
mboot.c32 is really in a working / useful / usable status for UEFI.

> grub.efi is able to boot the same xen and vmlinux files.

Unfortunately, the pace of development for Syslinux is very slow. I
would suggest for you to use whatever suits you.

> The bios:
> Version 2.16.1243. Copyright (C) 2013 American Megatrends, Inc.
> V.NF9N A01 10-24-2014
>
> The console can be redirected/duplicated to a serial port.
>
> --
> Hans

Regards,
Ady.