[syslinux] regression: relocatable kernels on a chromebook

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 02:58:50 PST 2015

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Ady wrote:
> > There have been discussions and/or reports somewhat related to this
> > matter during 2013 (Mar-Dec), and reports about failing to boot some
> > kernels with Syslinux 6.03 (2014Q4).
> >
> > The topics involved:
> >
> > _ Kernels with no protected-mode code (e.g. grub's kernel lnxboot.img
> > initrd=core.img)
> > _ bzImage and zImage files
> > _ memdisk
> > _ grldr, plop(bm)...
> > _ memtest (and alternatives), DBAN, several hardware testers...
> > _ gPXE/iPXE...
> > _ Older kernels and/or kernels for older machines (e.g. PuppyLinux and
> > family and derivatives; I could mention several others)
> > _ Non-relocatable and relocatable kernels
> > _ Linux kernels prior to version 3.3 and/or with similar "older
> > (EFISTUB) standards", "supposedly" bootable in BIOS and/or (U)EFI
> > systems at the time (e.g. Slackware 14.0 / 14.1, Debian 7 Wheezy, RHEL
> > 6.x / 7 )
> > _ BIOS and/or (U)EFI systems
> >
> > As a remainder and FWIW, from prior discussions (2014Q4) we have:
> > http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Linux_EFI_kernels
>
> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-October/021021.html is the only
> possible match I see on the list, if that helps. Plus the Fedora and Arch
> bug reports.

The examples I posted in the above list of related topics are
originated from emails threads in this Syslinux Mailing List. They are
not random examples. I am not posting links to the specific email
threads because it would suggest that there is something specific to
search for or to read about; there isn't (at least not at this point).

Indeed, there is a problem with Syslinux 6.03 trying to boot certain
types of kernels (some in BIOS, some in UEFI mode). Whether the patch
you sent is correct (I hope it is), I lack the necessary knowledge to
comment about it. Unfortunately, relevant knowledgeable developers have
not commented in this email thread.

There are additional pending patches (among other awaiting tasks). I
can only hope we'll see some effective movement (and, I hope, sooner
rather than later).

Please do not be discouraged by this message. If you have additional
patches or reports, please send them; they are welcome and appreciated.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ady.