[syslinux] UEFI PXE Difficulties

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 23:33:27 PST 2015

> Im a long time PXE boot fan.  I use it for wimbooting windows PE, linux
> images via http, and memtest mainly.
>
> Ive got it nicely customised with my own graphics etc.
>
> Then UEFI booting came along.  Till now ive been content simply setting
> bios's to CSM mode and doing my thing....
>
> Ive had another go at EFI PXE booting and can now get the menus and grahics
> from syslinux working, but I cannot get any of my images to run.
>
> They start to load and the system reboots.
>
> I think im missing something basic here,  do my operating systems need a
> signature registered on the computers? or should syslinux simply pass
> control to the kernel?
>
> any advice?

Although Syslinux 6.03 has some limitations (and bugs) when trying to
boot some kernels, you have not mentioned any specific kernel (or
distro) you are having problems with. The configuration settings that
were used to build the kernel are relevant too.

For example, the older memtest(s) kernels are not compatible with UEFI
systems. Another one: as of version 6.03, memdisk has support for BIOS,
not UEFI.

So, there are several possible reasons for your kernel not to boot in
UEFI systems with Syslinux 6.03.

Sometimes the hardware (or its firmware) might play a role. Updating
your firmware might help.

In some cases, the TFPT/DHCP options might be inadequate.

In other words, you would need to be more specific about the behavior
you are seeing (i.e. provide more details).

Regards,
Ady.