[syslinux] UEFI PXE Difficulties

Michael Pye michael at ulimit.org
Fri Feb 13 09:09:08 PST 2015

On 2015-02-13 13:45, Geert Stappers via Syslinux wrote:
> Elaborate
>   They start to load and the system reboots.

I have the same issue, syslinux6.03, using syslinux.efi I have a HP G9
BL460c blade with EFI and a vmware virtualised guest with EFI enabled.

I'm attempting to install rhel6.6, kernel 2.6.32. Both machines will
boot successfully, load kernel vmlinuz, then start to load initrd.img
but reset a minute or two later. rhel7 kernel 3.10.0 works better in the
VM and actually loads successfully and kickstarts, but the HP G9 blade
still resets whilst loading initrd.

The page at http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems
states:
Linux EFI pre-3.3
Most kernels before Linux-3.3 have also been observed to have other
issues. Symptoms include spontaneous reboot at some point after kernel
execution begins.

So does this mean we can't efi net boot rhel6/7 centos 6/7 or any distro
that uses pre 3.3 kernels?

Thanks for any assistance.

Michael