[syslinux] DMARC Considerations

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sun Jan 25 05:35:19 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 10:29:13PM -0500, Shao Miller wrote:
> Maybe this[1] page, option 3.C.  That strikes me as attractive, if
> only the mailing-list software can easily support it.  (Or be hacked
> to support it; I'm willing to try.)
>
> Or, the "From" could be the mailing-list, the "Reply-To" could be
> the author, then the "CC" could be the mailing-list plus original
> "CC" addresses.  If someone hits the "Reply" button on their
> key-panel, they reach the author.  If someone hits "Reply All", the
> mailing-list also grabs it.  If someone hits "Reply List", it's
> because their e-mail program is smart like that.

On friday morning, in UTC+1, was 'From' set to "Wrap message".

Sunday afternoon, also UTC+1 was 'From' set to "Munge From".

In Mailman is that described as:

  Munge From
    This action replaces the poster's address in the From: header with
    the list's posting address and adds the poster's address to the
    addresses in the original Reply-To: header.

That matches option B from [1]. Quoting that URL

  Replace From: address, set Reply-To: to message author
    Change the RFC5322.From address to an address within the mailing list's domain
        user op example.com => address op mailinglistdomain.com
    Set or change the RFC5322.ReplyTo address to the message author

> Ultimately, I don't think counter-measures against spoofing "From"
> are going away any time soon.

And "the pessimistic me" feels the need to warn about
communication killers being named spam figthers ...

> - Shao Miller
>
> [1] http://www.dmarc.org/faq.html#s_3

Groeten
Geert Stappers