[syslinux] EXTLINUX - GCC 5

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Jul 15 01:40:14 PDT 2015

Hi,

Gene Cumm wrote:
> William Kennington's report is definitely different than poma's
> original report. [...]
> William's report indicated "5.2-rc".

Yes. If i got it right then he tried two gcc5 versions which
both did not produce bootable binaries.

My question was whether in the same particular production environment
the produced binaries from different gcc5 versions show significant
differences when booting. (This could indicate active work in the
compiler region which would cause the troubles.)

But meanwhile the suspicion seems to have wandered to assembler
and linker rather than C compiler.

> Although it appears unaffected by hybridization, it's still something to
> check.

isohybrid.c and isohybrid[.pl] do not alter the content of
isolinux.bin. They only determine its block address (from
El Torito catalog) which they write together with the MBR code
to the start of the ISO 9660 filesystem (the System Area).
Booting via BIOS from a (virtual) DVD drive is not supposed to
even notice the presence of MBR.

So, if ever, it would be the suitability for isohybrid, not
the effective application of isohybrid, which makes the
difference for the compiler, or assembler, or linker.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas