[syslinux] repo.or.cz links are no longer valid.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:24:00 PDT 2015

> On 06/17/2015 07:13 AM, Gene Cumm via Syslinux wrote:
> >
> > Pushing the tags should be trivial.  If HPA doesn't do it first, I'll do it
> > once I have access.
> >

> Fixed.

Thank you, and to all those that were involved in making this move to
repo.or.cz happen, and the renewed availability of git.zytor.com.

Now we just need to solve all regressions, add new features..., and
achieve world peace... piece of cake :D.

> I have also removed the git.kernel.org repository.

Hmm. If I may... I would had waited at least until the next pre-release
or the next release, while checking that repo.or.cz actually "works"
*for The Syslinux Project* and its developers and contributors.

I don't know the reasons for removing it; it was only updated once in a
while (for some important pre-release or for a release), but it is
still being tracked down / monitored / followed by some important
distributions. In a way, it was not only the official git repository
but also a kind of "Syslinux announcements" mailing list.

Additionally, many useful links out there (including from distros and
the Syslinux Mailing List) point to git.kernel.org. I wonder whether it
would be possible to leave it as secondary / backup / unofficial
repository (for release only, or not updated).

Distributions might pay attention to official releases (most of them
don't follow the Syslinux Mailing List), so adding a comment about this
change in the next release announcement, while still updating
git.kernel.org at release time (at least once more) would had been
helpful to those tracking it.

Let's hope that users / distros are at least (also) tracking /
monitoring the release directory ("/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/") in
kernel.org, as I am guessing this will still be used for official
release archives.

Thank you and Best Regards,
Ady.