[syslinux] Problems PXE booting syslinux.efi on HP EliteBook 2560p / 8460p

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 12 04:50:12 PDT 2015

> Hi there,
> I have experienced problems on HP Elitebook 2560p and 8460p
> latest firmware installed:
> 2560p 68SSU ver. F50. 08/04/2014
> 8460p 68SCF ver. F50. 08/04/2014
>

> PXE boot, syslinux.efi gets perfectly TFTP transferred, it nevers asks for ldlinux.e64, and immediately gives up.
>
> I have traced the problem to:
>
> /syslinux-6.03/efi/udp.c\core_udp_open()
> /syslinux-6.03/efi/main.c\efi_create_binding(&Udp4ServiceBindingProtocol, &Udp4Protocol);
> /syslinux-6.03/gnu-efi/gnu-efi-3.0/lib/hand.c\LibLocateHandle(ByProtocol, bguid, NULL, &nr_handles, &handles);
>
> When LibLocateHandle() try to locate EFI_UDP4_SERVICE_BINDING_PROTOCOL it fails with
> EFI_NOT_FOUND (14) which looks like an HP firmware issue.
> Newer versions of the HP Elitebook family like 2570p and 8470p PXE boot syslinux.efi correctly.
> Unfortunately this error does not display any error message on 6.0.3.
>
> I wonder if this problem with HP EFI firmware affecting current but not the newest hardware it's not
> somehow related to the recent thread "Problem boot PXE UEFI on HP ML350 Gen9"
> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-March/023305.html
> In this case the ldlinux.e64 is requested but never received even when offered by the TFTP server.
>

> Best,
> Patrick

Some points that might, perhaps, be relevant for troubleshooting:

_ There have been some patches already merged after 6.03.
Unfortunately, currently there is no _official_ git repository
*publicly* available / accessible that would contain such patches.

_ There are pending patches, awaiting for review.

_ The official Syslinux 6.03 uses a one-year-old (ATM) gnu-efi code.
Updating the gnu-efi submodule to current latest gnu-efi commit
(2015Feb) might influence the results.

_ If similar newer HW can boot correctly, perhaps requesting from HP to
release updated firmware versions for those systems that are failing
might help?

_ I guess that pcap reports might help for additional debugging
(whether to find a workaround or to find a potential bug in Syslinux)?

_ I am guessing that these systems are actually using UEFI x86_64. If
they are not, then this would be a potential reason for strange
behaviors regarding syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64.

Regards,
Ady