[syslinux] Problems PXE booting syslinux.efi on HP EliteBook 2560p / 8460p

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 06:24:29 PDT 2015

>_ There
>have been some patches already merged after 6.03.
>Unfortunately, currently there is no _official_
>git repository *publicly* available /
> accessible that would contain such patches.

So bad; Any chance to get access to an updated git repository?
it takes long time debugging this kind of things.

> _ The official Syslinux 6.03 uses a one-year-old (ATM) gnu-efi
>code. Updating the gnu-efi submodule to current latest gnu-efi
>commit (2015Feb) might influence the results.

I really doubt it; the LibLocateHandle() answer is consistent with a
missing Service Binding protocol, something that can be seen if the
NIC EFI driver is not correctly implemented, but despite all this I'll
give it a try.

>_ If similar newer HW can boot correctly,
>perhaps requesting from HP to
>release updated firmware versions for those systems that
>are failing might help?

I think we are aiming in the right direction here,
unfortunately HP (and other vendors) only update firmware bugs
when either heavily impacting functionality or security.

>_ I guess that pcap reports might help for
>additional debugging (whether to find a
>workaround or to find a potential bug in Syslinux)?

In my case there is not a relevant pcap file;
syslinux.efi gets perfectly transferred and when it tries to get
ldlinux.e64 it fails locating the Binding Service for UDP4, before
aborting w/o generating any additional traffic.

>_ I am guessing that these
>systems are actually using UEFI x86_64. If
>they are not, then this would be a potential reason for strange
>behaviors regarding syslinux.efi and ldlinux.e64.

All my tests were conducted on 64 bit HP hardware using UEFI x86_64 firmware.

Best,
Patrick