[syslinux] Fail to set up UEFI syslinux on ArchLinux USB Flash Drive

alex lupu alupu01 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 08:35:34 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:

> alex lupu via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> writes:
>
> ​>​
>   Obviously it would work IF I moved the vmlinuz
> > and initramfs ​files from /dev/sdd2 to /dev/sdd1.
> >
> > I figured that would probably be considered non-standard Arch
> ​ ...​
>

> The standard solution is to have your boot partition (sdd1) mounted as
> /boot in your Linux system, and then your kernel and initramfs files are
> automatically put (and updated) on the right partition.  Then you can
> refer to them as /vmlinuz and /initramfs from the Syslinux config (where
> sdd1 is "mounted" at /)

 Hi Fer
​i​
,

Your recommendation sound
​s​
very good
​ (and intriguing)​
.

I haven't done _any_ Arch-meaningful work so far.
I was so happy to finally
​admire ​
the highly anticipated syslinux menu and
then
​,​
after hitting the "Arch" entry
​,
 see the Arch system booting
​all the way​
that I
​immediately ​
dropped the project for the time being waiting for my spinning head
​ ​
to finally come to a standstill.

So before I resume this pursuit, a _preliminary_ (silly?) question, if I
may.

My '/etc/fstab' has looked like this

/dev/sdd1       /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0       1
/dev/sdd2       /               ext2    rw,relatime     0       1
/dev/sdd3       none            swap    defaults        0       0

Do you actually suggest
1. I change /dev/sdd1's mounting point from "/boot/efi" to "/boot"?
2. Leave vmlinuz and initram files in their standard, normal place, /boot/
of /dev/sdd2 (with syslinux menu tweaked as you mentioned)?

Thanks,
-- Alex