[syslinux] Can almost boot on UEFI win8.1 laptop

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Tue May 5 18:16:23 PDT 2015

I just remembered, I had promised to post a follow-up if I got this working:

I eventually developed a script that creates a USB stick that will
boot on BIOS or UEFI computers.

Using kernel 3.19.2, here are the "EFI" variables:

CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_EFI=y
CONFIG_EFI_STUB=y
# CONFIG_EFI_MIXED is not set
CONFIG_FB_EFI=y
CONFIG_DMI_SCAN_MACHINE_NON_EFI_FALLBACK=y
# EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface) Support
# CONFIG_EFI_VARS is not set
CONFIG_EFI_RUNTIME_WRAPPERS=y
CONFIG_EFIVAR_FS=m
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK_EFI=y

The script is attached. Note, it reads some variables, as this script
is actually called by another script that exports those variables.

For example Qfw can be either "BIOS" or "UEFI". The former, the script
creates a conventional MBR bootable drive. Latter, script creates a
GPT drive -- bootable on BIOS or UEFI firmware computers.

The total installer can be found here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/amd64/releases/april-7.0.4/installquirky.amd64
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/x86/releases/april-7.0.4/installquirky.x86

...it is a self-extracting archive, with binary executables in it, the
intention being that it should work on any recent Linux.

Regards,
Barry